Monday 27 April 2015

What's new at AVRL




On Monday, December 8, 2014, I was appointed Interim CEO at AVRL.  The AVRL Board wanted to take some time before it advertised for a permanent CEO.  I am pleased to report that on April 17, 2015 the permanent CEO’s position was advertised widely.  Check out the job posting on the AVRL website under Employment.

The CEO is the person in the organization who recommends and facilitates new services and new directions.  In addition, the CEO is responsible for seeing that effective library service is provided throughout the region by managing the  library’s staff and financial resources.  It is a challenging position.

Fortunately, the CEO is assisted in this task by competent and dedicated staff at Headquarters and in our eleven branches.  In my short time here I have been very impressed with AVRL staff and their ability to deliver exceptional services under sometimes very difficult circumstances.  This winter proved to be a very taxing one for all of us.  We have noticed an increase in Interlibrary Loans and the placement of holds for our own library materials.  We are guessing this is a result of many people finding it hard to get into their local branch and instead finding good reading listed in our online catalogue.

Hantsport Library under construction
 2015 is a year of substantial change for the AVRL.  Soon there will be a new permanent CEO and the Headquarters staff will be preparing for a new location by March 2017.  Also, Kentville, Annapolis Royal, and Hantsport are either in the midst of moving or planning for new facilities in the coming months. 

Change brings its stresses but also brings opportunities for positive change and new ways of delivering services.  It will be the new CEO’s responsibility to encourage development and ensure that services to our communities are disrupted as little as possible.  If you have been thinking of a service you would like AVRL to offer be sure to let the new CEO know what you need.  Just go to the AVRL website and hit Ask Us and the Contact Us Form.

My time as Interim CEO is limited but my interest in and support of the AVRL will be on-going. I may even send in a suggestion to the new CEO myself!  In the meantime, I will keep reading. At the moment I am searching my favourite little website fantasticfiction.co.uk to make sure I have read all of Georgette Heyer’s books.  If I find a title that AVRL doesn’t own I am sure they will be able to find a copy for me.  I love libraries!

--Lorraine McQueen, Interim CEO

No comments:

Post a Comment