Tuesday 16 December 2014

Day 12, 2014: Bear on the Mountain Cookies



My name is Hannah. I am part of the Bridgetown Regional High School Options and Opportunities program.  For this program I am doing a 100 hour placement at the Annapolis Royal Library Branch and really enjoying it. I have made Bear on the Mountain cookies from the Cookies for Christmas cookbook.  I choose these cookies because they are fun and give you a bubbly feeling whenever you see them. They are fun to do with kids so I can use them for a cooking program I am hoping to do through my 4-H club.
 Bear-on-the-mountain cookies

(makes 54)
Ingredients
½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup unsweetened coca powder
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
54 milk cholate kisses
½ cup canned vanilla frosting
54+ chewy fruit bear snacks


1.     In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat or stir in cocoa powder and flour.
2.     Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Place the balls of dough 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
3.     Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 9 minutes or until edges are firm. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into center of each cookie. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
4.     When cookies are cool, spoon frosting into a heavy self-sealing plastic bag. Using scissors, snip the tip off one corner of the bag. Pipe a small amount of frosting onto the top of each kiss. Stand a bear atop each cookie. Makes about 54 cookies.
Hannah’s notes: I found using a fork instead of a wooden spoon was a lot easier. If you are still having trouble, try mixing by hand.
While I was making these the song Waltzing with Bears kept running through my head. I couldn’t resist making this cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment